Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3, 2010

We are now five weeks into this experience.
This past week has been pretty good. We all continue to learn how to deal with this meshing of lives. Since the weather has been good, we have been able to be outside riding bike, fishing, and doing yard work.
Last weekend God's faithfulness was again evident as he provided a lady who grew up in Indiana but whose parents had immigrated from Ukraine to the US during WWII. Nella was able to communicate clearly with the boys and us. It provided an avenue to go over some things. For my sake it allowed me to apologize to Garrett for getting angry with him. My moment of anger led to two hours of absolute pandemonium the previous night. She was able to give us some insights into the situation plus she encouraged us. Being able to meet with her on a short notice was like water on a desert land. God continues to provide manna...just what we need for each day.
School for both boys seems to be going well. Mitchell is diligent about getting his work done and takes it very seriously. Garrett is coming along with his participation in doing homework. I no longer have to walk him into school. His mood is sunny when we pick him up and the teacher says he is doing well. I am thankful for the 2.5 hours that I have when they are both in school. All the kids are on Spring break this next week.
This reclamation, as Mike is now calling it, has as much to do about changing us and it does about changing the boys. It is painful at times, yet rewarding.
Garrett's English is coming along. His latest phrase is.."Come to me", when he wants us. Where he got that we don't know. Mitchell has started answering the phone which is a brave move.
Ellen is struggling with our parenting. She observes that we are not holding to the same rules as we did when they were younger. Mike and I run in the house as we chase the boys, we let the boys go to bed without brushing their teeth, if Garrett chooses not to eat dinner we let him have food before bedtime...all these things we thought we would never do as a parent have gone out the window. She is learning that not all rules are in stone.
I am back to work and I am grateful. It is the one part of my life that is "normal". I am thankful for my job!! The girls take the reins when I work and so far it has been okay for them for the most part.
Garrett is eating better. Bologna, cucumbers, boiled eggs, sausage, any fresh fruit, tomatoes...his palate is growing and we are grateful. Our grocery bill has grown as well. Mitchell is a good eater and tries most anything which is nice.
All prayer support continues to be appreciated! Thanks for your comments and emails as well.
Doris for the crew ....Mike watching the Butler game, Becca, Jessica, Mitchell, and Garrett playing Super Mario, and Ellen reading a book in her room.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Doris and family,
    I've had a lot on my mind lately and remembered to check your blog. Glad to read a report of progress! Interesting. I hope Nella returns. Sounds like she truly was a "God send".
    "In His time, He makes all things beautiful!"

    ReplyDelete