Saturday, January 30, 2010

I feel like an alien!

For some reason, tonight I feel like I especially stick out. After eating at a cafeteria sort of place, we went to a near by grocery store to stock up on some necessities. We had left-over drinks so my dad stayed outside the store and held them while we grabbed food. When we were ready to check out, mom didn’t feel like she had enough money to pay so I got dad. He and I stood at the end of the line just in case. Then he went and helped mom and becca came and stood with me. Shortly there after, a guy came over and was holding buttons. He started to say stuff to Becca in Ukrainian and she shook her head no. He kept insisting and she said nyet (which is no in Ukrainian) several times so he could understand what she meant. After he kept bothering her, she went and stood with my parents in the line. I stayed there and he came around me and started talking to me. I said no too, but he kept pressing. I went to stand with mom and dad to get away from him. He came over and kept asking us. We told him no for the tenth time and left him. Oh man was he annoying! Then we stood next to the wall to wait for our roommates. While standing there, an older lady slowly walked by us and stopped. She stood there for a minute or two just looking at us. Finally she started to talk to my dad in Ukrainian. It seemed to my dad that she was just being friendly and asking about us. That wasn’t so bad, I just felt uncomfortable with her staring at us.
Dad told us that while he was waiting for us two boys stood in front of him and just stared at him. (?????) It almost seems like these people have never seen Americans and when they come across them all they can do is stare at us. Whenever we go into McDonalds there are at least one or two people who keep looking at us. I want to ask them if I have a flashing sign over my head or something that offends them because they consistently look at us. We must look funny or something. I can’t wait to get back to the States where I fit in and we all speak the same language and nobody looks at me like I’m an alien. Ahhhh just thinking about it is comforting. I am looking forward to fitting in, but I’m enjoying this while I can. Jessie

3 comments:

  1. Well, Jessica, if it's any consolation to you, Emily spoke of the "staring" issue on her return home from Peru a week ago. She said as they sat in a restaurant eating their dinner, people would peek around the corner watching them. Eric and I noticed that too when we were there. Emily said it was very common when she was in Korea too. That being said, yes, it's uncomfortable when you're the one being stared at. It's amazing to think that you could possibly be the first "different" people that some Ukranians have ever laid eyes on. Although you miss America, being able to easily communicate, and fitting in, I love your attitude to enjoy this experience while you can! Keep writing! We're always eager for the next chapter! Love and prayers to all of you from all of us in Celina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an experience of having people stare at you like that.

    I thought it must be a little bit like that for people who are foreigners here in the states. Kate has told me more than once, that she wishes she looked like an American. Even though she speaks English and is "Americanized", she still feels like she sticks out.

    Concerning the language barrier:
    Maybe the button guy was saying, "You can take your drinks inside." Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're probably admiring your beauty when they're staring, you know; soaking in your smiles and bright faces! They may not be used to such positive people being around!

    On the other hand, maybe they kept talking because you look like you could speak their language--Your "nyet" must have a pretty convincing accent.

    Or maybe they're trying to figure out if you're famous movie stars?

    Now all of us here need to be careful to remember how you feel when the two new Alderinks arrive here, where they won't know the language and might feel pretty different for a while. It's a good reminder to be careful what messages we might inadvertantly be sending.

    ReplyDelete