Sunday, January 24, 2010

A long summary from Jessica

Hello Indiana!
I am amazed at how cold it can possibly get here. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced this level of coldness. Today we went on a long walk in search of a toy store to buy them something. It took FOREVER! Kiev had a LOT more options than we have here. Also we don’t have easy access to the internet so our blogs are going to be less often. As I was saying, we went on a long walk and stopped into a place where we could get internet and were there for a couple hours. That too took extremely long. Shortly after our internet stop we found a toy store. We also grabbed a bite to eat at nearby McDonalds. I’ve eaten at McDonalds here more than I have eaten it at home in the past two years! We bought a few toys and found that the store next to the toys sold Uggs! They were cheap too! I am very much looking forward to going back there. Whether or not I am going to get a pair is still up in the air, but I am hopeful! If they were the price they said then I could even buy a pair with the money I brought. Enough about Uggs  we finally got to meet the younger one! He was the cutest thing!! Strangely enough too he sort of looks like Ellen!! When he first came in he was really shy and didn’t say much. About half way through, Dad got him to come out of his shell. I’ve never seen my dad act so ridiculous, but I have to admit he was pretty funny. He found him pretty funny too. We showed him pictures of home and photos of when the older one stayed with us. From what I could tell, he seemed to enjoy the photos. I don’t know if they comforted him seeing that we were serious and live in a nice house. I also think it helped immensely to see his brother with us and happy. I think we will see the other one tomorrow. I am excited to see him because he knows us better. We actually had dinner with him and someone from the orphanage last night at a really nice restaurant. He was wearing his school uniform which was a nice suit. He looked really sharp. The food at the restaurant was really good!!!! I had a Caesar salad that was different than any Caesar salad I had had before. It was really good. Then I had chicken and green beans and French fries. I enjoyed that also. My favorite part was dessert! Oh, that was soooooooo good. We ordered Bananas Foster and a something else. The Bananas Foster was my favorite. The bananas were extremely good! I’ve never tasted a better banana. The other thing was ice cream in a cup with apples, kiwi, and oranges; it was almost like a parfait. Except instead of yogurt it had ice cream and the ice cream wasn’t melted or anything. Enough about the food and on to the dinner, it was awkward to be entirely honest. We couldn’t talk to him because he doesn’t know English and the translator was talking with the person from the orphanage. I felt bad because we all wanted to talk to him, but we couldn’t. So that was about it for dinner. And that’s all for tonight. Goodnight!!!

2 comments:

  1. How great to read about seeing them--the laughter, the nervousness, the language barrier, the surprises (nice restaurant and affordable UGGS). I hope you can get through and communicate in the sweet, basic things that matter--I'm sure your loving smiles speak a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today we saw A again and he immediately latched on to Dad. He obviously remembered him. The orphanage director mentioned to my parents that A seemed to be happier and more excited. He's that way she thinks because he knows somebody cares for him and that he has a family. He definitely enjoyed my dad again at our meeting today.
    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete