Thursday, February 18, 2010

Life in Ukraine-Shopping



These fine ladies were gracious enough to let me take a picture of them and their meat. I think it is pork. The building in the center of the "market" area is packed with people selling their wares. There are group into similar products as is all the market. Some have nice stands, others just stand out in the open. It is a great place to go for an anatomy lesson.






Pick your organ to eat. Some were easily identifiable, others-not so much. All very fresh, every day! Walking through the building made me feel like I had gone back in time. Can you imagine what this smells like in the summer?





A common look to the retail shops in the market area. You can walk from the hunting/fishing part to the housewares, to pets, and then on into the building in the center to buy your fresh milk, cheese, and meat.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Doris,
    I will be thinking of you and this market through the rest of the semester of A&P! I wonder sometimes what we would do here if we suddenly had to live like these people do. Mom A. got home this afternoon and all is well here. Hope to see you all this summer when the little one arrives at the Brunsting house in Pendleton.
    Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the photos Doris! They revive memories of our first years in Russia. The photos are identical to what we experienced! And yes, the meat markets have a different smell in the summer... Enjoy life in the slow lane while you have it.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Doris, Great pics. Hey..there's a homeschool project for ya. The kids can put together a powerpoint, slide show of the adoption journey. Extra credit for music in the background. :) Can't wait to see you all. We'll plan the shower when you get home, and settled in. Thinking of you daily. :) Love, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to start way back here and work my way up to current. I LOVE seeing these open-air markets. There's just no shopping like that in the U.S. Great pictures. As for the organ meat? Dad keeps trying to get me to try liver, but I can't quite stomach it (tee-hee).

    ReplyDelete