Sunday, February 14, 2010

The People of Ukraine


The face of one of the many Ukrainians that has made our adventure here rich because of the human element.

Having been out of the influence of the American culture for four weeks now, I think I will make some observations of the people that I cross paths with everyday.
I have observed that they are a hardy people. No matter the age and time of day, there is life visible on the sidewalks around town. When the temperatures were bitter cold (5F) people were out and living like they normally do. In Indy it would have been a ghost town. The older folks are out in the market and bus stops with their small bags of purchased items. The women are always dressed nicely. The older/middle aged women have on their fur/leather coats and black boots. Many wear pretty fur hats/tams. The younger generation wears tight pants with a variety of colored boots-usually with high heels. Facial piercing is not commonly seen. Their appearances are well manicured. The men wear black. The older gentlemen like the fur Russian style hats. I have seen only a few people that I would classify as frumpy. The population is slender, even the employees at McDonalds!
More men smoke here then women. Fortunately no smoking is allowed in public buildings. Alcohol is a significant part of their culture as seen in the grocery stores and the trash in the snow. It is cheap and plentiful. Drunk driving is not tolerated, so we have observed drunken walkers. One middle aged gentleman had fallen and couldn’t get up due to the ice under the snow. Mike and I assisted him and he looked at us with a blank stare. He didn’t have on gloves or a hat, but he managed to meander on to somewhere. My heart ached for him, a life snared by an addiction.
Dental care is on a different level then in the states. Folks do have dental work done as seen by their gold teeth. Most folks here smile with a closed lip smile. I noticed even the kids in the orphanage don’t show their teeth when they smile.
Now that I am here alone, I am comfortable walking around alone. People are cordial. I know that we must stick out as people have said, “American” when we have walked by, but everyone has been friendly and helpful. Yesterday a lady thanked me for coming to Ukraine. I’m glad I’m here too.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your observations. Interesting. It is interesting and perhaps eye opening to see characteristics in other countries that are better than here in U.S. I looked up about Ukraine and was surprised to see it is a rather large country (for Europe), almost the size of Texas and rich in natural resources.
    It has been quite a couple months for you. I am thankful you are at peace now and can relax a bit. You and your family remain in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doris,
    Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!!!!!!!

    I hope you find enjoyment today without Mike and the girls showering you with gifts...like chocolate. The excitement is building here as we count the hours to 10PM Monday.

    God is so good, isn't He!!! I am in the middle of my own journey, not nearly as monumental as yours. The house fell through. The bank says those people were probably hiding assets so they have not right to sell it at such a low price and get out from under their obligations to the bank. So I am searching again...So many of the houses that interest me have not applied for the Homestead exemption. I talked to the lender I am working with and he said that with my getting an FHA loan, they will not allow me to buy a house that has not applied for that because I will have the rest of this year with payments of $200 more than I can afford. I will explain later. But it will be nice to have you back to talk!!!!! Love you!! Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Doris. We really enjoy your thoughts and descriptions of life in the Ukraine.

    We continue in prayer for you and the boys!

    ReplyDelete